Sunday, August 10, 2008

Devil's Food Cupcakes with White Chocolate-Espresso Topping


Wow. These were so good! This recipe came from a cookbook called Chocolate Obsession, but Michael Recchiuti and Fran Gage. Michael Recchiuti ownes this wonderful chocolate shop in the Fairy Market Building in San Francisco, which is where I was introduced to him and his chocolate. This is stupidly only the second recipe I've tried from this book. That will change. The cakes are extrememly moist using vegetable oil instead of butter, and the zest from an orange adds an extra layer of taste. I did have some trouble with the ganache topping, which I blame on the poor quality white chocolate I used (thanks for the hint, mom!) But in the end, the frosting set up fine and was unbelievable! Such a great combination of dark and white chocolates, orange and coffee. These I will make time and again, next time I will try to distribute the ganache more evenly!
Johan Scale: 5

2 comments:

Jessie Jönzén said...

ohmi(freaking)goodness!! THESE are the ones you are erin were talking about!! SO good, even via the world wide web...i can almost taste them! ahh i'm so jealous that i never was there to eat them up, poop! well, bravo to YOU my little not-so-amateur baker! miss you so so much :( come here! swimmmmm!

E. said...

Julie Girl, I love the fact that you have a Johan scale on your recipes. Looking at the cupcakes made me remember how yummy they were!