Friday, December 5, 2008

Macc and Two Cheeses with Caramelized Shallots

I love maccaroni and cheese, but because it lack a few vitamins and has a bit more cholesterol than I desire, I haven't made it for years. Finally I thought, what the heck, I'll try some. I found this recipe in my Bon Appetit and it sounded tempting- the cheesy, creamy pasta covered with caramelized onions and dotted with goat cheese. Although that was about it. So I added some diced tomatoes and fresh spinach- just to help justify eating the stuff. I began with caramlizing the onions (although the recipe called for shallots), in 3Tbs butter. I then cooked the maccaroni. I made the cheese sauce by boiling some milke and adding shredded cheese (Greve, but I'd try Präst next time) and a little flour. Whisked until smooth, added the pasta and veggies then spread it in a baking dish. I topped it with the caramlized onions then spread the soft goat chees on top. It baked for 15min just to heat through, then was done! It did taste good. And we liked it last night, but for left overs today Johan decided it was maybe a little too cheesey. Maybe not healthy enough to justify. So, we'll see if it comes around again. Maybe if there are kids over or something!

Johan Scale: G

Bon Appetit December 2008

1 comment:

Jessie Jönzén said...

well, it SOUNDS delicious. and even for being a healthy version, it still looks like it would satisfy my once-in-a-while-craving for something UNhealthy :) i love cheese! and you can put caramelized onions, spinach and tomatoes in anything as far as i'm concerned :) bravo gumman!