Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tofu and Dumplings

My mom used to make Chicken and Dumplings all the time when I was growing up. I always loved the dumplings! So I decided I would try to make Julie's vegetarian versions. The recipe starts with boiling water, onion, marjoram, dried basil, salt and the chicken for 25min. I figured that would be enough time to also flavor tofu, so I substituted tofu for chicken. And I was right, the tofu sucked up a ton of flavor! I then added some sliced carrots, sliced mushrooms and peas and boiled another few minutes. The dumplings are simples- flour, baking powder and oregano mixed with milk, an egg and a little oil. I spooned 6 dumplings on top of the vegetable and simmered that for about 10 min. Now the recipe said to make some gravy, but I remember my mom's being more like soup. I decided to try the gravy, so poured off the broth, added a little more water and flour. Boiled that until it was thickened, then I just poured it back in with the vegetables, so it was kind of soupy. And I think it turned out pretty good! Johan was feeling a little under the weather so couldn't give an accurate score to the dish. It maybe could have used a little more spice, but I don't think using tofu instead of chicken made any real difference- except to the chicken! So I'm happy with my variation and will definitely make it again!

Johan Scale: yet to come

"New Cook Book" by Better Homes and Gardens (Chicken and Dumplings)

1 comment:

Jessie Jönzén said...

your new name: betty crocker :)

kudos my sweet & simmering friend!