Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Broccoli and Red Pepper Soup with Sunflower Bread




I found this soup recipe kind of randomly. I was just looking on the vegetarian times website, it caught my eye, so decided to make it last monday. I began by boiling the broccoli and some rice in veggie stock for 40min. I roasted 4 red peppers and pureed them. Then I sauteed some onion with garlic, thyme, tarragon and cayenne pepper. I added that to the broccoli and pureed that. Then, I mixed in the pepper pure, juice from a lemon, white pepper, apple cider vinegar and salt to taste. Then it was finished! It was delicious. The rice made it a little thicker and it had so many dimensions of flavor! It was a little acidic, but sweet with the peppers. And pretty healthy, too. I used brown rice and olive oil. I also wanted some bread to make it a more filling meal, so I made this sunflower bread out of my Swedish Elle Mat & Vin. And I have to say, this turned out the best of any bread I've ever tried to make! It was moist and soft. It needed much more flour than the recipe called for and I would have added some salt. It called for herb salt (whatever that is), honey and oats along with the flour, yeast and water. It was a success, I'll definitely make it again!
Johan Scale: VG-
Bread: Elle Mat & Vin, Nov-Jan 2009

1 comment:

Jessie Jönzén said...

i'm so glad your bread turned out! it looks perfect. straight of out saluhallen or something (do they even make bread? hahaha). the soup sounds packed with every flavor in the book! whata combo. glad it all worked out. i can't wait to bake bread again! this one sounds so good! fab job julie girl!