Monday, November 17, 2008

Mammas fiskgratäng (Mom's Fish Gratin)


This was a fun one! Another recipe from my Hela Sveriges Husman (All of Sweden's Husman). Husman is a type of traditional Swedish food. The local market has compiled recipes from folks all over Sweden into this book, which cost me a $3 coupon- not bad! The recipe used a really inexpensive white fish called Sej, I don't know what it is in English. The frozen fish cost almost as much as fresh and since it's crappy fish anyway, we went and bought some nice, fresh crappy fish. I baked it in the bottom of a casserole dish for about 10min. Then I piled (with the help of Johan!) some mashed potatoes around the fish and filled the dish with a mushroom sauce I made- milk, butter, sauteed mushrooms and a little flour. Lastly, I layered some sliced tomatoes on top and back in the oven for 15min or so, mostly to lightly brown the top of the potatoes. And this turned out great! It made a lot of food and the sej was surprisingly good! Well, how could it not be with all that milk and butter added! But it was a great combination with the mushroom sauce, mashed potatoes and the mildly flavored fish. And fun to add another type of fish to our diet!
Johan Scale: VG-
"Hela Sveriges Husman" by ICA

1 comment:

Jessie Jönzén said...

k! i have some news for you! sej is the swedish name for saithe and that is another name for 'pollock'. i'm sure you've heard of that name...i remember my mom telling me about pollock fish once. anyway, they apparently have quite a bit in the european/norwegian area...and supposedly it's an economic alternative to cod...but a little bit stronger taste. because of it's availability and low economic value, it is commonly used for breaded fish products like fish sticks and fillets at mcdonald's and dairy queen and such. anyhoo! there ya have it. we both learned something new :) i love that.
your dinner sounded so so good! kinda reminded me of that 'stoup' one :) i miss cooking in sweden...