Thursday, November 27, 2008

Indian Vegetables like in Kerala (Indisk Grönsaksgryta som i Kerala)

I know, another indian dish! But I love indian food, and have almost done without it since my move to Sweden. I've heard a lot about this cookbook author Anna Bergenström. I had one of her books on my Christmas Wish List, but then decided I wasn't so sure I wanted it- they're kind of expensive. Then, I found out that the local library has a great selection of her books! I stopped by and picked up a book called "Love, Olives and Thyme" and it's wonderful! The book is beautiful with such nice photos! It also contains a lot of information about nutrition. It talks of eating healthy, which rices are better than other, what's good to eat for breakfast, why protein is important and which foods contain a high amount of protein, which fats are good for us and so on. And yes, that is all in Swedish and I understood it (hooray for Swedish class!).

I agree, it seems a little random to find an indian dish in a swedish cookbook, but whatever. So this is the first one I tried. It is also simplified from what a true indian dish would be. There was quite a bit of prep work, but the entire meal didn't take too long to cook. I boiled some potatoes, then sauteed them in some oil. I then sauteed the cauliflower in the same pan, put that all aside. I then sauteed some curry and cummin. I added to that garlic, wedges of yellow onion and diced ginger. I then added a can chopped tomatoes and let that simmer for about 10min. Meanwhile, I cooked some basmati rice- cheaper than the naan I bought before, but still really tasty! I added the potatoes and cauliflower along with some hericots verts to the veggies and simmered another 8min or so. I added a little garam marsala, threw in a little fresh cilantro and dinner is served! Johan liked it a lot, as did I. It did, however, make our house REEK of indian food, the stench is still lingering! I like my food to smell like it, but not my clothes and hair so much. Nevertheless, I will make it again. That is, if it's legal to copy the book from the library...

Johan Scale: VG

"Kärlek, Oliver och Timjan" by Anna Bergenström

1 comment:

Jessie Jönzén said...

ok, so i am really craving some indian food now!! this sounds soo good! maybe this week i will try something similar! mmmm. do you have the recipe? if not, i can google something for sure.

bravo on learning about proteins and nutritional values too...in swedish! yayyy julie!