Monday, October 13, 2008

Apple Sauce

In another attempt to fully live out fall this year, I thought I would try to preserve some swedish apples by making apple sauce! I found a recipe in my most recent issue of Bon Appetit, bought some apples and finally gave it a go! I began by peeling and coring the apples, this took up the most time. I then boiled them in a little lemon water with cinnamon and allspice (called kryddpeppar in swedish) and a lot of sugar. They boiled, or simmered for about 20min which seemed to be plenty of time. I tasted it and added more cinnamon and allspice. And that was it! Not to tricky. And I'm pretty happy with it! I considered leaving out the sugar because I usually buy unsweetened applesauce anyway, but thought the first time I'd stick to the recipe. And, I think it's too sweet. Next time I'd leave out the sugar and add even more spices! I love cinnamon and apple together! The consistency was a little gummy, but I attribute that to that I didn't use the apples the recipe suggested (Granny Smith, Fuji and Johnathon), I used an assortment of swedish apples (called Ingrid-Marie, Red Summer Apples, Katja or Discovery). But it turned out good. Nothing super exciting, but not disappointing! I really need to get some real canning equimpment, it would make this process much easier!

"Three-Apple Applesauce" from Bon Appetit, Oct 2008

1 comment:

Jessie Jönzén said...

looks superb! i just love applesauce in general, so i'm not a hard soul to win over. but like you, i don't like mine too too sweet...so i guess it's all about finding our own methods to suit our tastes :) wish i was there to share a bowl with ya ;) kram!!