Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Butternut Squash and Lemongrass Bisque

This soup has been long awaited. I have been craving some butternut squah bisque for a while, but butternut squash is hard to come by here. Finally, I found some squash in Stockholm last weekend. I'd like to thanks Johan for carrying the 2 1/2 kilos of squash around Stockholm for me! So I was really worried about making the bisque, I have never made it before and for how much trouble went into finding the squash, I wanted it to turn out. So I decided to rely on my never failing Native Foods cookbook. I think that was a good call! This turned out great! I just peeled the butternut squash and chopped it up, carmelized two onions then boiled it all for 25min. puréed the soup, then steeped a lemon grass stalk in it for 10min. I served it with dried cranberries, chives and yummy fresh bread. I would have preferred it a little thicker, next time I would reduce the water. Otherwise, pretty good! And I was really glad Johan liked it so much. I wanted him to think all this searching for the squash was worth it! Luckily I have another squash left, so another bisque is soon to come!

Johan Scale: Strong 4.5

"The Native Foods Restaurant Cookbook" by Tanya Petrovna

1 comment:

Jessie Jönzén said...

oh it looks so so good! i must try this recipe sometime...i have seen a lot of squash here, so i will keep this in mind. not sure they have lemmon grass though...and that makes a huge difference...i love the taste. so glad it was a hit. heja chef julie!!