Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Pomodori al forno




I read an article in my sep Bon Appetit about these tomatoes. Then I read about them on a blog (by the same writer). Then I read about them on another blog, stolen from the first blog. So I thought, I have to try this, I'd be a fool not too. And my intuition was right! One recipe was for the tomatoes to be put on baguette with goat cheese, the other to be put on pasta with parmesan, so I put them on pasta with goat chesse! A good compromise, I thought. I began by buying 1 kilo plum tomatoes and de-seeding them. I put them in a swimming pool of olive oil and sprinkled on a little sugar, salt and dried oregano. I roasted them slowly at 250F for a total of 2 1/2 hrs! Then the pasta recipe said to peel the guys. But as soon as I peeled one, I thought, these peels can't go to waste. So, I just ate them. It was at that point I knew I had something magical. I then put the tomatoes in a bowl with the olive oil and added garlic and parsley. I let all that sit for another 2 hrs. When Johan finally came home, I took 1/2 the tomatoes and gently chopped them in a bowl, then threw them together with some cooked whole wheat penne pasta. We put a little goat cheese on top and smaklig måltid (bon appetit?)! It was so, so good. I was blown away at how much flavor came out of these little tomatoes. They were juicy and soft and delicious. We licked the bowl clean. And it really didn't take long at all, if you subtract the 5hrs of waiting time! So, if you know you'll be home for a day, please do yourself a favor and try these. And don't forget that once you've eaten the tomatoes, you still have a deliciously infused olive oil you can save for dipping bread! Hmmmm, I wonder if I can can this...
Johan Scale: VG+

1 comment:

Jessie Jönzén said...

ohmigoodness! i saw this on the wednesday chef's blog not too long ago...i think...it looks so so so good!! i think i might still try to roast a few in a toaster oven when i get one, hahah. we'll see! if i am daring enough. the goat cheese and pasta sounds amazing with it. i did similar tomatoes the other day with heidi's quinoa recipe on 101...it was with corn and spinach, etc. posting pictures tonight! finally!