Friday, October 3, 2008

Mushroom Soup with Hazelnut Gremolata

I this recipe caught my eye on epicurious.com. It just sounded so good! I was quite shocked to find some dried porcini mushrooms and so decided this soup was meant to be! Overall it wouldn't have taken to long to make. But I didn't have a carrot, so off to the store I went. I came home, chopped the carrot and onion, roasted the hazelnuts, soaked the dried porcinis then opened the 0.5Kilo bag of mushrooms I bought Tuesday to find a big bag of mold! I need to learn how to keep mushrooms, they're never good for me after a day! So BACK to the store I went to buy another 0.5Kilo mushrooms- this time without a scale to know how much I was buying. But I apparently have a good eye, I got exactly what I needed! Then back home, sliced up the mushrooms and sautéed it all for a bit. I then added some veggie broth and simmered for about 20min before puréing. I started on the gremolata- parsley, garlic, chopped toasted hazelnuts, olive oil and a bit of orange zest. It was really good! But strong. I ended up with much too much gremolata! But the soup was superb with the gremolata and some reserved sautéed mushrooms. It was thick and creamy, without any cream. The porcinis added a wonderful flavor and the spicy gremolata added crunch and pleasant aroma from the orange. My complaint (of course there'd be one, right?)- it didn't make much. I like to have enough left over for lunch for both Johan and I, but now I'm left with no lunch. Well, next time I'll just make more!
Johan Scale: 4.5

No comments: