Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Caramel-Pear Butter



The Swedish pears and apples are amazing. I regularly eat both throughout the year, so when the Swedish varieties popped up, I was quick to try them. And have been eating them by the plenty. But now it's getting cold and I'm afraid to loose these. So I've been thinking of ways to preserve the apples and pears. This month in my Bon Appetit, they offered a recipe for Caramel Pear Butter, which sounded perfect. My mom used to buy a delicious apple butter, so I thought I must give it a try. I went to a local market and bought a kilo pears for less than $2 (10SEK) and I was set. I boiled the pears in a little lemon juice and apple juice for 20 min or so. The recipe then said to "Press the pear mixture through a fine plate of food mill..." well I certainly don't have a food mill, so I just puréed the stuff in a blender, that worked perfectly. I returned it to the pot, added some brown sugar and nutmeg, then simmered for an hour to let thicken. And it was done- and amazing. I was truly shocked at how good this was! Sweet, with such a strong pear flavor! I couldn't wait to put some on some toast. I considered just serving myself up a bowl of it, it was so good. But I managed to seal a jar for later use and then enjoyed the bit I'd allowed myself for now. I am so tempted to go buy more pears and make more.
Julie Scale: 5.5

1 comment:

Jessie Jönzén said...

5.5!!!?? how could i NOT make this with a rating like that?! i am so inspired and anxious to get to the store tomorrow! if they don't have pears i am going to POOP! so they better! thanks for the fabulous post idag! du är en duktig tjej gumman!