Sunday, October 19, 2008

Pumpkin Scones


The first use of the rest of the pumpkin pureed I have stacked in the freezer. I found this recipe in my Cheese Board cookbook and they sounded great! I began by mixing the puree with buttermilk (well, some kind of buttermilk substitute) and cream (how could things possibly go wrong from here, you're thinking?). I sifted flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ground ginger and nutmeg. Added some salt and pepper then cut in a bunch of butter. Gently mixed everything together. I was supposed to form balls with the batter, but mine was way too sticky, so I just plopped a spoonful on a baking sheet, sprinkled a little cinnamon sugar on top and baked. They were really good! The pumpkin flavor wasn't too strong and they were prefectly moist for a scone. I think they're a little flatter than supposed to be, but that was obvious when the dough was too sticky to form a ball. It was a perfect fall treat! I wouldn't call them amazing, I've made other scones I've liked better, but I was not disappointed in these. And Johan loved them.

Johan Scale: VG

"The Cheese Board Collective Works" by The Cheese Board Collective

1 comment:

Jessie Jönzén said...

there they are! i couldn't wait to see how these turned out. they look great! i've made scones before too and they've been kinda flat, but i think they're supposed to be like that :) wish i was there to fika with you and those yummy scones.

i'm about to make some cookies again. gotta make use of that oven before it's gone!

kram :)