Thursday, October 2, 2008

Tomatoes Stuffed with Rice



I have been following the blog www.orangette.blogspot.com for a little while. The author, Molly, writes an article for Bon Appetit magazine every months and that's where I heard about her. But I haven't yet tried any of her recipes. She referred her readers to the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe, which I have plans to try (as soon as the fancy chocolate chips arrive from my mom!) but these stuffed tomatoes were the first thing I tried. I definitely could have made them better. I just used regular old tomatoes, whatever was at the grocer. I'm sure heirloom would have been much tastier! And I was lazy and used boxed bread crumbs instead of fresh. But the dish was still quite good! It baked for a while, but the prep time was pretty short. I liked the rice and tomato mixture which was just the insides of the tomatoes, arborio rice, onion and basil. I would maybe put in a little more basil next time, but I don't think you could ever have too much basil! I love potatoes too, so I really liked the sliced potatoes on the side. It was nothing too fancy, but good and I will definitely make it again.
Johan Scale: Strong 4

1 comment:

Jessie Jönzén said...

oh YUM. i am looking up that recipe NOW. i've seen some big tomatoes at the store lately, and with the produce being as shady as it is here...i have to hop on things when i see them! i bet the basil was a tasty touch...i, too, could never have enough of it. it was in the curry noodle recipe i did last night too...and cilantro...my 2 faves! i will check the recipe and give these a whirl...thanks for being the brave first one ;) you're great!