Thursday, September 11, 2008

Calypsoroti

Well I'm not quite sure what label to give this dish, but it is one of my favorites, nonetheless! I have made it before, but not posted on it. From the book "Rebar" given to me by my Swedish/Canadian friend Erin. This is another restaurant cookbook from a (mostly) vegetarian restaurant in Victoria, Canada. I am yet to be disappointed by a recipe from this book, as well. This recipe is quite simple and (if the peppers are cheaper than $2.00 each as they were today) inexpensive. I love that it has a black bean hummus, I need to be careful to cook enough protein. The cabbage gives it a nice crunch and the mango salsa is incredible! I used some "thin bread" for the wrap, but tortillas would have worked just as well. I used frozen mango instead of fresh, and had to add a little water to the black bean hummus to get it to blend. As toasted pumpkin seeds are always a favorite here, they made a great topping before rolling up the burrito/tortilla/who-knows-what and enjoying!

Johan Scale: Weak 4.5

"Rebar: modern food cookbook" by Audrey Alsterberg and Wanda Urbanowicz (page 101)

1 comment:

Jessie Jönzén said...

so THIS is what you were talking about! wow, that sounds so tasty! i've never had black bean hummus...but holy hannah...i am ALL for it. and i love that 'tonbröd'...i miss it! it feels lighter than a tortilla too...i like that. this book sounds 'so julie' :) looks delicious my little chef. du är en trollkarl i köket! hahaha....