Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tortellini with porcini mushroom sauce



I thought I'd throw in before and after photos to show how good this was! I got this recipe from a recent issue of Bon Appetit. An address mix-up caused me to recieve 2 issues the other day. This recipe was quite simple with not many ingredients, and probaly so good due to the cheese, cream and butter! Not my usual diet, but for whatever reason, this turned out great! I should probably call it 'Tortellini with white mushroom sauce,' because I substituted the dried porcini mushrooms for fresh white mushrooms (they weren't available at the market). I just fried them for a bit to get out the moisture (parboiled?). I used yellow onion instead of shallot. Can anyone (I guess that means you, Jessie!) tell me the benefit of using shallots? To me, they're just more expensive, with no real gain in flavor. And I guess that's about all the substitutions I made. The parmesan Johan brought back from Italy was a wonderful addition. I would use a little more fresh thyme next time, I just didn't have as much on hand as I thought. I'm sure it would have been even better with fresh tortellini, or homemade! But the cheese filled bagged tortellini was still great! Luckily I only used 1/2 the bag, so I can make this again soon with what I already have!
Johan Scale: Strong 4.5
Bon Appetit, September 2008

1 comment:

Jessie Jönzén said...

so THIS sounds and looks magnificent! almost anything with mushrooms is a hit in my book :) i bet porcini mushrooms would have been tasty, but alas! we live in an imperfect world where every culinary need is indeed NOT available at our disposal...so we make due :) you did great! though i DO taste a slight difference between onions and shallots, i've often wondered what the exact difference was, by definition. i did some research for both you and i and this is what i found: "An onion is an onion, garlic is garlic...the shallot, though closely related to the onion grows in a bunch like garlic. When sliced you can see that it has the layers like an onion. The taste is milder but deeper than an onion with garlic undertones." there we have it. it's all about the undertones, haha. persoanlly, i just think they're cute :)

bravo igen söt julie!