Saturday, September 6, 2008

Rocky Recchuiti Brownies



I have always been a sucker for desserts- especailly brownies! It's been a little while since I splurged on a dessert, so I decided it was time to try this one. From one of my favorite books- "Chocolate Obsession." I have yet to be disappointed by any recipe in this book. Maybe that's a little unfair to say since they recipes are all for sweets? I don't know. But these were quite simple. I was shocked to see that my local grocer doesn't carry unsweetened baking chocolate. What?! Super strange. So I really just used cocoa at 55% (all they had available) and then put in less sugar. I know what you're wondering- why didn't I use nicer chocolats. Well, I would have but I'm a cheapskate and wasn't at a store that sold fine chocolate to get any. Next time though, it would have made a world of difference. The recipe suggests home made marshmallows (that's what's on top of these brownies) but there's no way I was going to whip up some marshmallows just for this recipe, so I used the store-bought ones I already had. Roasted walnuts are mixed into this batter along with extra chunks of the chocolate. They baked for 45min, so one must be patient. But they turned out to be super gooey, chocolatey and delicious!
Johan Scale: 4.5
"Chocolate Obsession" by Michael Recchuiuti and Fran Gage

1 comment:

Jessie Jönzén said...

ohmigoodnessgracious! these look so yummy! fred was just saying last night that it 'would be ok' if i wanted to get back to baking a few things...haha. subtle hint i guess. maybe brownies is on the list ;) i finally bought some flour today...and i have baking powder...just gotta get a hold of some baking soda...if i need it. we shall see. might try some cookies or something too. you inspired me, and fred will be so happy you did, haha. Heja Julie!!